Friday 3 September 2021

We made it this far together

I'm not sure if this storm is over or when the next one will be, but one thing that I am sure of is God's unchanging faithfulness and goodness through the seasons. He never fails, and is ever true. 

There were many times when I prayed and held on to God... I thought to myself: it's about time that these walls come down but why isn't it happening yet? I don't see it. My physical eyes don't see it. On some days everything seems to be falling apart. My heart becomes discouraged and anxious because what I prayed for isn't happening. Is God really working in these situations? Has he heard me? Does he see me? When will this storm be over? When will change come?

The truth is that God is working and moving, and I might only be aware of three things out of the zillions that He is doing. I was prompted to look at the situation with eyes of faith. What I currently see is not final. The story ends with God's victory. Change is coming. I might not see it yet but I will continue to lay my burdens down and pray until one day it unfolds according to God's timing and perfect will. In my surrender, I learnt that it's not the end - it's the beginning of God's power and work. True hope is found in holding on to the Lord no matter what happens. 

I've been reading a book "A camaraderie of confidence" by John Piper, featuring the lives of Charles Spurgeon, George Müller and Hudson Taylor.

This line "keep life going when our hearts are breaking" hit me hard because it was exactly where I was at. 

"How do you preach through it all? How do you do heart work when the heart is under siege and ready to fall?" 

"When the heart is overwhelmed, it's one thing to survive adversity; it is something entirely different to continue preaching Sunday after Sunday, month after month."

I really felt that. I may not be a pastor or a preacher but my work is similar to the heart work of a preacher. I caught a glimpse this when having to prepare and lead small group recently. It was like labouring with a broken instrument. 

I'm still discovering this book, though albeit rather slowly. But I kind of guessed what the answer might be... for me personally, it's keeping my eyes on Jesus. He's in this boat with me.

Before I go, I would like to say thank you so much for praying for me. I'm still here because you have prayed for me. The unexplainable peace, strength, wisdom and little miracles so far tells me that you have been praying for me like a mighty warrior, and our God is working right now. 

No matter what I see, faith tells me that God's got this. 

Hopeful, 
Bella